London’s ABBA Trifecta: Where to Live Your Mamma Mia Dreams in the UK
We’re back yet again with another Mamma Mia! and ABBA–inspired post. What a joy indeed! I hope you’re ready, Dancing Queens and Kings, because today we’re heading over to London, England.
“Wait… did you say London?!”
You may be a bit confused because usually when we talk about Mamma Mia! we’re typically envisioning vibrant, tropical Greek islands. (or in the case of Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, their filming location was technically Vis, Croatia which you can read about here.)
But today, we’re focusing on London because this metropolis city has a whole variety of Mamma Mia! and ABBA activities. It’s an unexpected paradise for any ABBA fan!
I’m so excited to take you on an ABBA-solutely 😉 amazing tour around the city to find them all. Let’s get started!
1. Seeing a Production of Mamma Mia! on The West End
First and foremost, the most obvious Mamma Mia! activity you can do in London is to go see Mamma Mia! onstage at The West End! For us Americans, this is an absolute treat since Mamma Mia! concluded its run on Broadway in New York City back in 2015. Frankly, I never had the chance to see Mamma Mia! in a real theatre until I made it out to London, so this was extra special!
Although the sets for this musical are still straight out of the ’90s, (petition for the Mamma Mia! sets to get a well-deserved upgrade!!) there is absolutely nothing like seeing this show on stage. It’s essentially sunshine in musical theatre form.
For some reason, no matter how many times I see this storyline, I’m always in stitches when the antics start unfolding. I’ll always cry at the emotional bits. And I’ll always be dancing in my seat when my favorite ABBA songs are playing. It’s pretty impossible to have a bad time at Mamma Mia! so definitely see it if you can!
2. ABBA Voyage
If you ever wanted to see ABBA in concert but feel like you missed your opportunity, then “Take a Chance On” ABBA Voyage! This entire stadium is dedicated to an ABBA tribute performance, where incredible technology has eternalized this one-in-a-million music group.
We arrived as soon as the stadium opened, which was 1 hour and 45 minutes before showtime. This gave us time to check our coats, get a hot dog and drinks, and admire the merchandise selection. The merchandise was GREAT, by the way, so definitely prepare your wallets!
They opened the doors for the show about 45 minutes before showtime. We were some of the first people inside and weren’t sure where to go. However, we decided to “go big or go home” and stood right against the railing in the very very front, and this was a phenomenal decision. Highly recommend it if you can!
The show began and I cried at least 3 times. It was so emotional and such a beautiful tribute to ABBA! It was super surreal – you can tell they are virtual but your brain just doesn’t care; the whole aud was screaming like it was a real concert!
The show is filled with incredible costume changes, cheeky dialogue, stunning lighting effects, and tons of dancing! The technology is beyond my comprehension, they did such an amazing job putting this all together.
Overall, ABBA Voyage was just so much FUN! This just opened in Spring 2022, so it’s basically brand new. They did so many songs like Gimme Gimme, Summer Night City, Voulez Vou, and Mamma Mia… just to name a few! It’s such a fun night out and guaranteed to put you in great spirits! We loved it!
3. Mamma Mia! The Party
However, what we both believe that the overall best Mamma Mia! experience in London is Mamma Mia! The Party!
I went here the night before my 29th birthday with my partner, Steven, and one of my best friends, Angela. To this day, I still believe it was one of the best nights of my entire life.
If you have been to the Hoop Dee Doo Revue at Walt Disney World, this is extremely similar but Mamma Mia themed! It’s a fully immersive dinner show with fun music, full-out theming, and a super entertaining cast. However, Mamma Mia! The Party just goes above and beyond any level of fun I ever envisioned.
I’m going to recap our night straight out of my journal so you can read just how magical this whole thing was.
Recap from Jess’ Journal:
• We took the tube and went to The O2 for Mamma Mia! The Party – AHHHH!!!! None of us had ever been to the O2 but it was like a gigantic indoor mall/city. They had restaurants, music venues, shopping, and even a trampoline park. It sort of reminded me of Disney Springs and Vegas. There were even disco balls on the ceiling, which were not related to the event at all but so on brand.
• We followed the signs and went to Mamma Mia: The Party! In line, we met a group of folks and a lady told us “my husband surprised me and arranged for all of my friends to come here tonight for my 60th birthday, I had no idea!!” and she was so excited. We were birthday buddies and Taurus Sisters!
• We checked in and they brought us to our table. We were transported to Nikos Taverna, which was a complete Greek wonderland. This place was stunning!
• We were probably some of the youngest people there, but we didn’t even care! There were birthday celebrations, bachelorette parties, date nights, tourists visiting, etc. Occasion or not, everyone was ready to have a fabulous time!
• They started us off with appetizers of dips – tzatziki, hummus, olives, and bread. We also ordered a pitcher of Sangria and 2 bottles of wine throughout the show. (which was an extra charge, but worth it) For our meal (which was served during the mid-show break) we had beef and lamb, potatoes, and vegetables!
• The show began and it was literally like Hoop Dee Doo from Walt Disney World, but themed as Mamma Mia! Do not be confused – as this is not the West End show so you’re not going through Donna Sheridan’s journey here.
• Mamma Mia! The Party has a hilarious kitschy storyline about totally new characters, starring the Greek Taverna owner, Niko! The goal of the night is to prepare the Taverna for their upcoming ABBA event. And, of course, it wouldn’t be an ABBA show without some heartbreak and romance! It’s just cheeky and funny and great fun all around.
• During the mid-show break, we went up to the top floor and took some photos, which was the perfect time to do it before the place went crazy. The third floor wasn’t filled at all that night so it was a gorgeous open space! I mean – just look at the beautiful decor!
• Then the second half of the show began! This is when the Taverna transitioned to “night time” and the show shifted from storyline to more ABBA songs. (or at least that’s what the wine told me!)
• The performers were all over the entire room – on the front stage, on the stairs in the back, and in the middle. There was even a “Mamma Mia” character aka their sweet little Greek Yaya. (grandmother)
• As the show wrapped up, they played the CLASSICS like Dancing Queen, Waterloo, and Gimme Gimme and did a HUGE mash-up to round out. It was a BLAST! We were just dancing and having the absolute time of our lives. (as any Dancing Queen would!)
• After the show, we went over to the stage for the DISCO PARTY! We met our fellow birthday friends to drink, sing, and dance the night away. They were all British and so excited to meet Americans – they couldn’t believe we were all the way in London! They kept hopping in for pictures with us too LOL!
• After the show, we took our time getting out of there (aka we were the last people to leave) and I was truly on Cloud 9! Again, one of my favorite nights of my LIFE!
More Thoughts on Mamma Mia! The Party
So as you can see, Mamma Mia! The Party absolutely blew me away. I am honestly shocked that this place hasn’t gravitated its way to Orlando or Vegas yet, I think it would be a smashing hit.
As far as logistics go, the pricing is quite high. (it is London after all) But in my opinion, truly worth every penny. I loved it.
We chose Tier B seating, which wasn’t directly on the ground but rather on the second floor around the outer rim. I was very pleased with that, as we could see all around the room. However, if I ever went again, I may opt for Tier A to just sit in the middle of the action.
The hardest part is that your seating is left up to chance, as the sections are quite big and you could end up anywhere with any sort of view. Requests cannot be accommodated due to pre-assigned seating charts. So just be prepared for that and put out all of the good vibes for a fabulous seat! 🤞🏼
My last piece of advice is to attend this party with people who are ready to have fun. Just let yourselves become fully immersed in the experience. The energy in this room is electric, and the cast does an amazing job at bringing the Taverna to life. It truly is a party and a half! I cannot recommend it enough.
BONUS: Blame Gloria – ABBA Bottomless Brunch
Girls and Gays, you are going to absolutely thrive here. Blame Gloria is a vibrant cocktail bar with a full-out backstory. You are going to get to know “Gloria” the moment you step in. The menu states “Gloria always threw the wildest parties. She had the best legs in Soho. She has Elton John’s old piano. Some say she dated Hendrix.”
With an icon like Gloria running this establishment, you just know it’s going to be over-the-top iconic. Whether you just stop in for an elegant evening drink or go as far as to throw a Hen Party (Bachelorette) or Birthday Gathering here, Blame Gloria is one of the most iconic places in London for an amazing time out!
I am including this as a bonus experience for our Mamma Mia list because I did not know this existed until the end of our time in London. So while I can’t adequately report on the ABBA-specific experiences, we did learn that Blame Gloria does themed bottomless brunches!
- At the Covent Garden and Bristol locations, they offer ABBA Bottomless Brunch which is typically offered on Sundays (and sometimes Saturdays)
- At the Clapham Junction and Bristol locations, they offer a Mamma Mia Bottomless Brunch which is offered on select weekend days.
*information based on February 2023, please check the Blame Gloria website for accurate details and book reservations ahead of time!
“When All Is Said and Done…”
That’s our London ABBA Trifecta! London truly felt like a playground for us Mamma Mia fans as we discovered one experience after the next.
I hope today’s storytelling transported you to the ABBA Experience of your dreams! Let me know in the comments which one sounds the most amazing to you. 🙂
Until next time… here’s to doing what makes your soul shine! 🥂☀️
WAYS YOU CAN SUPPORT JESS’ CREATIONS:
Like a cup of coffee, I pour my heart into The Road Jess Traveled so we can all go on these adventures together! ☕️❤️ If you have been loving the posts, photos, or any of my online creations – you now have the
Click the button below to donate and support the blog!
Thank you times a million. ❤️
If you’re loving The Road Jess Traveled and want updates of new posts and offerings…
SIGN UP FOR EMAILS: